How hot is your leadership energy level?

It is approaching holiday season and nearly time for cold weather in many areas. I look forward to a change in climate and tastes. I also look forward to my hot drink variations that seem more pleasant when the temperatures fall below 60. When it comes to warm drinks for cold weather, I prefer hot chocolate, seasonal spiced apple cider, and caffeine-free herbal teas. The rest of the year in North Texas, I prefer cold drinks. Nothing does a better job of cooling me down than icy lemonade or a chilled soft drink.

As you may remember, I talked about my taste experience with coffee drinks in another blog post when writing my popular article Leadership Style in a Coffee Cup (which I noticed has popped up on several management blogs besides this one). In that article I compared the popular coffee drink variations to potential leadership styles. As I was putting together that first article, I realized I could be missing an important component by only talking about flavor and consistency. Since I know that coffee also has hot and cold variations depending on the season as well as decaffeinated versions for consuming at different times of the day, I did a leadership comparison there as well.

Here are a few questions to consider when reviewing my 2nd coffee based article titled Leading from a Different Cup, which is about changing or mixing styles to suit different business situations.
1. As a leader, temperature wise do you seem hot or cold to your subordinates?
2. When it comes to your energy level, are you running on regular or appear more like decaf?
3. Do you notice when you have a change in your temperature or energy?
4. How would you prefer your subordinates think of you in the future?
5. In which situations should you change your temperature or energy?
6. What do you need to do to make a temperature or energy change?

Please feel free to share comments on the article or this post on this blog. If you have any suggestions to help other leaders change energy or motivation levels in themselves or their employees, please share that as well.

For common situational leadership theories, search for information on:
- Fiedler's Contingency Model
- Hersey-Blanchard Situational Leadership

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For another interesting viewpoint, see musical comparison in performance management post at http://righttolead.com/blog/management-are-you-a-musician-or-a-conductor/.