1. Care – the need to be more than a number
· How will I take a genuine interest in my employees this week?
2. Mastery – the need for challenge and achievement
· Whom will I give feedback to this week?
3. Recognition – the need to be appreciated
· Whom will I recognize or reward this week?
4. Purpose – the need to contribute and be significant
· Whom will I give the second paycheck to this week?
NOTE: “Second paycheck” is a motivational tool rather than pay and it refers to letting employees know how their job affects others or the organization. To find purpose, begin by asking: who do we serve, what job has does our product or service do for others, how do we make a difference?
· How can I promote a feeling of autonomy in 1 employee this week?
6. Growth – the need to progress (both career-wise and education/skills)
· How can I help someone grow this week?
7. Connection – the need to connect with others (a.k.a. teamwork)
· What can I do to make my team stickier this week?
8. Play – the need to enjoy work
· Where can I inject some fun this week?
9. Model – the need for a path to follow
· What model do my people need from me this week?
NOTE: Stickiness refers to the glue that holds a team together. Glue is based on having a clear team purpose and/or goals, trust and respect for each other, and ownership/accountability for roles.