|Managing Your |
I think it’s fair to give you a snapshot of each type here, though with the proviso that this snapshot doesn’t do their complexity justice. Still, I think it will be useful if you start thinking about these types...
- The Bully—aggressive, command-and-control type; can deliver great results, but can also take bad risks and be a tough person to work for.
- The Good—consistent, calm, communicative, but has problem with risk or anything that upsets the applecart.
- The Kaleidoscope—shifting persona focused on accumulating and consolidating power; extremely bright and business savvy, but also difficult to get to know the real person and easy to resent controlling personality.
- The Star—high-energy, dramatic, and action oriented, but has little patience with red tape or anything that requires patience; impulsiveness can get the group in trouble.
- The Scientist—highly logical and reliant on a theory of the case, open to feedback, but also can stubbornly stick to a theory beyond all reason; can also be distracted and difficult to communicate with in this state.
- The Navel—big ego in need of constant feeding; this ego can drive group to decide and execute with speed and skill; can also drive people to distraction as this boss makes everything about him.”
Permission to reprint was granted by the publisher.
Read 1st post on Smooth Sailing with the Bully Manager.